November 15, 2009

Disney College Program... Do or Don't?

To move to California, or not?... that is the question.

I really want to take up this opportunity to intern at Disneyland, but I'm so worried I'll make the wrong decision that I can't think straight! My mom talked to a lady in my ward that said it is really rare to get into this program because they only accept 200 people per term. So I should take it, right?

I have wanted to move to California for the longest time and this is probably my only chance. But I would be gone for 8 months and I don't know how I would do being away from home for that long.

Things I will miss if I go...
- I would miss my dog. He is my best friend and I am afraid if I go he won't recognize me when I get back.
- My family. For some reason I can't imagine myself not being at the dinner table every night... that would be so weird. And there is always the possibility that my family will pick up and leave while I'm gone haha.
- My Grandma. I've taken care of her since summer and I think if I leave she'll snap and get sick again. I told my mom this and she told me not to live for Grandma, but I have to live for myself. It sounds selfish but in a way she's right.
- My best friend Rachel. Rach is the best friend in the whole world and it would be SO hard to be away from her for so long. We see each other almost everyday and I will probably cry every night that I'm gone because she won't be there with me :[
- My own bed.
- "Barbie Ken"

Reasons I should go...
- It is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I know I will never forgive myself if I don't try.
- I won't have to be in Utah for the dreaded winter months. I hate snow, Anaheim doesn't have any :]
- This is probably my only chance to move out before I get married. I want the experience of living on my own.
- My apartment is 30 minutes from the beach. Nuff said.
- I would be in Disneyland everyday.
- I would meet TONS of new people from all over the world.

Things I'm worried about...
- Getting weird roomates.
- Not making any friends.
- Hating my job and therefore ruining the magic of Disneyland.
- Getting sick and not having my mommy to take care of me :[
- Missing out on family moments.
- Starvation.

Whew! Venting feels good. I have been researching the apartment building I would be staying in and it is SO nice! Here are some pictures...
The building.
 
The living room and kitchen.
 
Bathroom and outdoor courtyard.


3 comments:

  1. Hey love!

    I'm so glad you have a blog, and that Anberlin is the first thing I heard when opening it. Maybe good taste in music is genetic.

    But ahem, here's my input:

    I had a friend who did this program and she absolutely loved it. That apartment looks incredibly nice, too! This sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity, Jewel! :) I'd go for it - you learn so much living on your own. Plus, that gives Rachel and excuse to go to California.

    I love you! Good luck deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sadie :] I am for sure thinking I'll do it now! There are a couple of financial things I have to figure out first and if those work the way I want then I will be California bound!

    Rachel is really mad that I'm even considering it, but you're right; she can always come visit me! haha.

    Thanks for the advice my wise cousin :] I miss you and I can't wait to see you on Thanksgiving! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree whole-heartedly with Sadie on this one. Personally, I think that this is one of those opportunities where you have to just close your eyes and jump in. Yeah, it'll be scary being so far from home, but look at how many people move out of state and make it work. And it's not permanent. 8 months will fly by! Think of it like going on a mission, except that you can call home every five minutes if you wish-- in fact, I bet you would have a TON of missionary opportunities as well. I say download skype so you can have video chats with your family and Rachel and anyone else you want to be able to see, and then go for it! And if this isn't the year to do it, don't give up trying for this or something else a different year. I'm way jealous that this is even an option for you! Take the chance while you can! The worst that can happen is that you'll learn a lot, and what's so bad with that? Love you cuz!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment and I will give you an imaginary penny for your thoughts :]